Whip up a pan of these festive bars in just 20 minutes with staple ingredients and pie filling. Between the easy preparation and pretty color, they're destined to become a holiday classic. —Jane Kamp, Grand Rapids, Michigan
60 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and
- salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
- after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread
- with pie filling. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over
- filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely
- in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk
- to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.