- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Bars
"I made 1/2 the recipe exactly and put on smaller cookie sheet it was delicious,and simple to make,try with a scoop of vanilla icecream,yummy.will definitely make again."
"Made these today using Stevia baking blend and egg substitute. Made a half-recipe.Baked for 30 minutes, but probably should/could have left them in for another 5. Will do that next time.Did not make the frosting drizzle, and don't need to -- these have a really nice flavor. We wouldn't want it to be too sweet."
"We liked this recipe. I made as is."
"The taste was good, but I had trouble getting them completely cooked. I baked for 45 minutes until the top was golden brown. When I went to cut them, the lower crust was not cooked the whole way through. I had to put them back in the oven for 10-15 minutes more. Next time I will try baking the bottom crust for maybe 15 minutes before putting the cherries on, similar to how lemon squares are baked."
"Really bland. Looked super delicious in the pic. I would say skip the almond extract and use cinnamon in its place. And instead of the mixture on top us a cobbler/cake crumble instead. I think that would do the trick. Nobody in my family of 6 liked it. And I'm the only one that is picky. So that's pretty bad."
"Would give this 5 stars had I not altered the recipe based on some of the reviews I read. I cut the amount of sugar in half (which didn't seem to make a difference) and only used 1 can of pie filling. It seemed like enough (I used raspberry), but after baking I regretted that decision. Will definitely make again and use the full 2 cans. Other than that, these were a hit at the Wisconsin Badger football party I took them to."
"Cherry bars were quite sweet. Loved the Almond/Vanilla combination. Didn't work well in 15x10x1 pan; would suggest using 17x10x1. Will try again in future; may cut icing in half due to overly sweet taste."
"I loved these and adjusted nothing, except adding some minutes to the bake time. They remind me of something my grandma used to make but better with the glaze and almond flavoring. They were a big hit at the family gathering, too."
"Very good. Will make again. I added 1/2 tsp almond extract, instead of the 1/4th. I also had to increase the baking time to 40-45 mins. I used powdered sugar, instead of the icing."