- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg; mix well. Beat in the banana, buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in cherries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 5 cupcakes.
Reviews for Cherry Banana Cupcakes
"I agree, it seems crazy to mess up the kitchen for 5 cupcakes! So I doubled the recipe, am now sampling the finished product - as is my husband - and we declare them delicious little morsels! I love marachino cherries and I went a bit heavy on them - I want the flavor of the cherries. Also, I used almond fl. instead of vanilla - always enjoy that way more! I've been baking a long time and it's my opinion you can't ruin anything that has buttermilk in it! But just to make sure, I originally only gave it 4 stars. Didn't want to throw anybody for a loop, and I certainly would hate to be labeled crazy on this site - for any reason.............so now that we've actually baked them and love them, I give them the full 5-star regalia! And continue to believe in my own tastes to be able to judge something before I actually make it :)"
"Tip: Spray paper muffin liners with cooking spray, works every time especially for lowfat muffins. These sound good to me, I will have to try."
"I really enjoyed the cupcakes from this recipe. I did double the recipe and found it good. I didn't have any trouble with the cupcake papers/ I did find tha the flavor did improve after a couple of days - more cherry. love the tip about using almond extract. I think I'll try that next time."
"I agree with other posts that people should not review unless you have made the recipe. "nuff said"Back to my review- I also doubled the recipe- using two very ripe bananas and I got 12 regular cupcakes and a ramekin filled little cake (which I will use a bit of ganache on!)I think they are very good little cupcakes- maybe the same as "hummingbird" cake? I used vanilla in mine as recipe called for but if I made these again I would use almond extract to give it a little more flavor/Users/iammaggiewilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Feb 9, 2011/IMG_4155.JPG"
"I quadrupled this recipe when I had grandchildren coming to visit--- they all LOVE bananas! I used non-stick spray instead of papers, and served them for breakfast with some scrambled egss. BIG hit! I never make small amounts, even though there are only two of us... freezers are wonderful inventions!"