From Hanover, Ontario, Denise Elder shares this dreamy dessert. "The crunchy crust is spread with a rich butter layer, then topped with a fluffy filling flavored with banana, cherries and chocolate," she says. "Guests always tell me the pie reminds them of a banana split...and then ask for seconds.
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large firm banana, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup halved maraschino cherries
- Whipped topping, chocolate curls and additional maraschino cherries
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of butter; stir in wafer crumbs. Press into a 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, cream the remaining butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Spread over crust.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar and cocoa; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the walnuts, banana and maraschino cherries.
- Spoon into crust. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped topping, chocolate curls and cherries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Banana Cream Pie in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p57
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cherry Banana Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2012
"Our family and friends love this. . . absolutely delicious. It is also good using pecans instead of walnuts."