Cherry-Apple Lattice Pie Recipe
This recipe makes one of my family's favorite pies. It is served at many get-togethers and potlucks.—LeAnn Sager, Fairmont, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg white
- 1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine cherries and apple juice. Cover and microwave on high until heated through; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside for topping. In a large bowl, combine cornstarch with the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the apples, vanilla and reserved cherry mixture.
- 3. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. With remaining pastry, make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over lattice top. Sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar.
- 4. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and remove foil. Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 378 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC