Cherry Angel Cake Roll Recipe
I keep up a fast pace at college but still like to entertain. These pretty party cakes require just a handful of ingredients, yet always seem to impress guests. —Lisa Ruehlow of Madison, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with ungreased parchment paper. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Spread evenly in prepared pans. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 2. Invert onto two kitchen towels dusted with 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off parchment paper. Roll up cakes in the towels jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. Unroll cakes; spread each with 1 cup whipped topping to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine pie filling and extract; spread over whipped topping on each cake. Roll up again. Place each seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Slice; garnish with remaining whipped topping. Yield: 2 cakes (8 slices each).
One slice equals 175 calories, 2 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC