Cherry-Almond Snack Cake Recipe
Dried cherries and almond flavoring give this tender golden cake from our Test Kitchen a sweet-tart flavor, and crushed almonds lend a nice crunch to each tasty square. It's great for snacking or afternoon tea.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat stick margarine, softened
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the margarine, sugar substitute and honey. Beat in the egg and almond extract (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in almonds and cherries.
- 2. Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
One piece equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC