Dried cherries and almond flavoring give this tender golden cake from our Test Kitchen a sweet-tart flavor, and crushed almonds lend a nice crunch to each tasty square. It's great for snacking or afternoon tea.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat stick margarine, softened
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, beat the margarine, sugar substitute and honey. Beat in the egg and almond extract (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in almonds and cherries.
- Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Cherry-Almond Snack Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p50
Reviews for Cherry-Almond Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review