Cherry-Almond Pound Cake Recipe
This recipe uses dried cherries, which adds lots of chewy flavor, while almond paste guarantees a moist cake. You can use amaretto in place of the orange juice in both the batter and glaze.—Myrna Tycholaz, Winnipeg, Manitoba
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) almond paste
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring cherries and orange juice to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in the cherry mixture.
- 3. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 4. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.
1 slice equals 525 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC