Cherry Almond Pie Recipe
I grew up in northern Michigan, where three generations of my family have been cherry producers. This traditional cherry pie makes a mouthwatering dessert that always gets rave reviews.—Ramona Pleva, Lincoln Park, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 4 cups pitted canned or frozen tart red cherries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving 2/3 cup juice in a saucepan; discard remaining juice. To the juice, add the cherries, sugar, butter and salt. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in the almond extract and food coloring if desired. Cool.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 436 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC