Cherry Almond Granola Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Fat-free vanilla yogurt, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, milk powder, honey, apple juice concentrate and oil. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; stir in extract. In a large bowl, combine the oats, cherries and almonds. Drizzle with sugar mixture and mix well.
- 2. Spread in a thin layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Serve with yogurt if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 quarts.
One serving (1/2 cup granola) equals 222 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 starch, 1 fat.