Cherry Almond Chews Recipe
I make these attractive cherry coconut cookies every Christmas for family and friends. During that busy time of year, I appreciate the fact that they freeze well, so I can make them ahead.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans, optional
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut and nuts if desired.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Place a cherry half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
2 cookies equals 152 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC