Cherry Almond Chews Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans, optional
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Place a cherry half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Almond Chews(4)
Sort By :
Made this recipe a few days ago & we LOVED them... I did NOT use shortening, I used just butter & they turned out great. A new favorite
Followed the recipe exactly (except I used butter flavored shortening), and these were SO TASTY! The chewy texture and taste makes this a perfect cookie in my book. These are my cookie for the Christmas Cookie exchange this year. Thank you for sharing!
Outstanding! The kids and I made these for fun today and they turned out great. The edges were slightly crispy and the center was chewy. The key to making these were to use parchment paper, don't cook too long and to let them cool for about 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them. I changed nothing about the recipe.
My cookies were quite flat, not like the picture. Taste was good. I would probably do half butter or margarine, instead of all shortening. Will try them again.