Cherry & Spice Rice Pudding
I live in Traverse City, the Cherry Capital of the World, and what better way to celebrate our wonderful orchards than by using plump, tart dried cherries in my favorite desserts? This slow-cooked rice pudding recipe always turns out wonderful.—Deb Perry, Traverse City, Michigan
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, evaporated milk, milk, sugar and
- water. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow
- cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir lightly before serving. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 193 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.