Cherries on a Cloud Recipe
Our Amish friend Naomi Yoder makes this meringue heart topped with cream cheese and pie filling whenever we visit. Her family’s farm is a stop on our wagon train vacation.—Judy Herbkersman, Collins, Ohio
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spoon meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. circle, building up edges slightly.
- 3. Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place meringue on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 426 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC