Cherries in the Snow Recipe
Dried Oregon cherries dot this light, creamy rice pudding. We developed this recipe for our guests with dietary concerns who still want a treat. Sugar-free and fat-free. What’s not to love? —Barbara Sidway, Baker City, Oregon
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice and sugar substitute. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender and pudding is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Transfer to a small bowl; discard vanilla bean. Stir in the cherries, rum and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Fold in whipped topping before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup equals 248 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Cherries in the Snow
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC