Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole Recipe
Cheese is one of the major agricultural products in our area of northern California. A colleague gave me this recipe a number of years ago, and it's always a hit at potluck dinners.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. In a large saucepan, cook zucchini in 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Place rice in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Layer with chilies and 1-1/2 cups cheese. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, green pepper, onion, parsley, salt and oregano. Spread over cheese. Layer with zucchini and tomato. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 290 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 460 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC