- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a large saucepan, cook zucchini in 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Place rice in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Layer with chilies and 1-1/2 cups cheese. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, green pepper, onion, parsley, salt and oregano. Spread over cheese. Layer with zucchini and tomato. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole
"used garlic salt instead of regular salt, a pinch of garlic powder and added 1/2 tsp of basil, omitted green pepper and parsley. Basically just tweaked the herbs to my taste. Very good recipe. I have a similar recipe that doesn't call for sour cream so probably fewer calories but I love creamy."
"This was a delicious dish but we thought green chilies and seasonings really overpowered the zucchini. If you want a recipe that really showcases the zucchini, this isn't it!"
"This is the best zucchini and tomato recipe I've ever tasted! Perfect combination of flavors. I'll look forward to more zucchini from my garden!"
"I used this as a main dish and it was very good. I used less cheese and sour cream and it still tasted great. Good way to use up zucchini and tomatoes."