Cheesy Zucchini Quiche Recipe
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in butter until tender; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, parsley, salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add egg mixture.
- 2. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Or bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown (cover loosely with foil after 25 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- 3. To use frozen quiche: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown (cover loosely with foil after 35 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 272 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.