Cheesy Zucchini Quiche Recipe
A few years ago, I found this zucchini recipe that's quick to prepare and freezes well, too. Just put it in the refrigerator to thaw in the morning and pop it into the oven when you get home! —Karen Howard, Lakeville, Massachusetts
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) part-skim shredded Galbani® Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and seasonings until blended. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add filling.
- 4. Bake on a lower oven rack 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 332 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 559 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC