My family can hardly wait for zucchini to ripen in summer so I can make this casserole. With rice, sausage and vegetables, it's a hearty meal-in-one.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in zucchini, tomato, mushrooms, salt, pepper, 6 oz. of cheese and rice. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Top with remaining cheese; return to the oven until cheese melts. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Zucchini Medley in Country Pork 1996, p87
Reviews for Cheesy Zucchini Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2012
"This is one of the first recipes I make each summer when the zuccini is ready. And while I love it with the sausage, I also like it without. Thank you for sharing this recipe."