Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Tender cubed zucchini gets pleasant flavor from a cheesy sauce and cracker-crumb topping. "This fast-to-fix side dish is a great way to use up a big crop of the common squash," says Kathi Grenier of Auburn, Maine. At 35¢ a serving, it's an uncommon value.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- Place zucchini in a saucepan and cover with water; cook over medium
- heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well. Add cheese, butter,
- salt and pepper; stir until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- cracker crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 136 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.