Cheesy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 202 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Soup
"Have been making this recipe for years. However I don't put in the cheese. It's a family favorite."
"This was good but not worth the effort or the calories and fats."
"This sounds so good. Thank you.I agree. I would love to live in the country, but can't night drive."