Cheesy Vegetable Soup Recipe
My husband's a grain farmer who is definitely a "meat and potatoes" man. He likes soup on a chilly day, though. Served with warm bread, this makes for a quick but hearty noontime meal. Along with our children, 10 and 5, we live 5 miles from town. I wouldn't trade country life for a million bucks!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 202 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC