Cheesy Vegetable Soup Recipe
My husband's a grain farmer who is definitely a "meat and potatoes" man. He likes soup on a chilly day, though. Served with warm bread, this makes for a quick but hearty noontime meal. Along with our children, 10 and 5, we live 5 miles from town. I wouldn't trade country life for a million bucks!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheesy Vegetable Soup in Country Woman January/February 1993, p29
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2013 Edited Dec. 5, 2013
Reviewed Aug. 5, 2013
"Have been making this recipe for years. However I don't put in the cheese. It's a family favorite."
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2012
"This was good but not worth the effort or the calories and fats."
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2012
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2008
"This sounds so good. Thank you.I agree. I would love to live in the country, but can't night drive."