Cheesy Vegetable Soup Recipe
My husband's a grain farmer who is definitely a "meat and potatoes" man. He likes soup on a chilly day, though. Served with warm bread, this makes for a quick but hearty noontime meal. Along with our children, 10 and 5, we live 5 miles from town. I wouldn't trade country life for a million bucks!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheesy Vegetable Soup in Country Woman January/February 1993, p29
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2013
Easy to prepare and delicious.
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2013 Edited Dec. 5, 2013
Reviewed Aug. 5, 2013
Have been making this recipe for years. However I don't put in the cheese. It's a family favorite.
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2012
This was good but not worth the effort or the calories and fats.
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2012
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Soup Recipes >