Can't decide whether to cook vegetables or pasta for a side dish? Try combining them in this medley. It received rave reviews at our volunteer fire department meeting. Now, I make it for other covered-dish suppers.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place broccoli and cauliflower in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside. Repeat with carrots and onion, steaming for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl; add the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in macaroni. Spoon half into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella, cheddar and process cheese. Repeat layers.
- Pour cream over the top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; dot with butter. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Vegetable Medley in Country Woman January/February 2002, p33
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review