- 1/2 cup each finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and red pepper in 4 tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, broccoli, potato, Worcestershire and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broccoli and potato are tender.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; stir just until cheese is melted.
- Slowly stir cheese sauce into vegetable mixture. Garnish with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
"I made this soup with a California blend vegetable mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). It was delicious and I will definitely make this again."
"this soup is delicious! I made the full recipe and ate it all my self over several lunches and dinners! Got a little kick to it and I think I would cut the cayenne in 1/2 or more if serving to my children. easy too! Kind of tastes like cream of cheese and broccoli soup, but its nice with the extra vegetables!"
"I would like to see the nutritional info for this before making. Does anyone have it? TOH?"
"This was great! Not to difficult and tasted wonderful!"
"This has become my new favorite soup! I saw it prepared at a cooking school I went to and it smelled so good I had to try it at home. Even my toddlers love it! I substitute frozen broccoli for the fresh with really good results."
"In a word FANTASTIC!"
"This was a perfect meal for Sunday afternoon with hearty bread-yum!"