- 1/2 cup each finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and red pepper in 4 tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, broccoli, potato, Worcestershire and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broccoli and potato are tender.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; stir just until cheese is melted.
- Slowly stir cheese sauce into vegetable mixture. Garnish with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Chowder(11)
Sort By :
I used a bag of frozen broccoli florets, a can of sliced carrots, added at the end, and a can of condensed cream of broccoli soup since we prefer a thicker soup. It was excellent.
I made this soup with a California blend vegetable mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). It was delicious and I will definitely make this again.
this soup is delicious! I made the full recipe and ate it all my self over several lunches and dinners! Got a little kick to it and I think I would cut the cayenne in 1/2 or more if serving to my children. Easy too! Kind of tastes like cream of cheese and broccoli soup, but its nice with the extra vegetables!
I would like to see the nutritional info for this before making. Does anyone have it? TOH?
This was great! Not to difficult and tasted wonderful!