Cheesy Vegetable Chowder Recipe
Make ahead and store in serving-size potions using Ziploc® Twist 'n Loc containers.—Taste of Home Cooking School
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and red pepper in 4 tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, broccoli, potato, Worcestershire and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broccoli and potato are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; stir just until cheese is melted.
- 3. Slowly stir cheese sauce into vegetable mixture. Garnish with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC