Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
Make ahead and store in serving-size potions using Ziploc® Twist 'n Loc containers.Taste of Home Cooking School
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and red pepper in 4
- tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth,
- broccoli, potato, Worcestershire and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broccoli and
- potato are tender.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium
- heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to
- a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Add cheese; stir just until cheese is melted.
- Slowly stir cheese sauce into vegetable mixture. Garnish with