Cheesy Vegetable Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and red pepper in 4 tablespoons butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, broccoli, potato, Worcestershire and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broccoli and potato are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; stir just until cheese is melted.
- 3. Slowly stir cheese sauce into vegetable mixture. Garnish with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
"I used a bag of frozen broccoli florets, a can of sliced carrots, added at the end, and a can of condensed cream of broccoli soup since we prefer a thicker soup. It was excellent."
"I made this soup with a California blend vegetable mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). It was delicious and I will definitely make this again."
"this soup is delicious! I made the full recipe and ate it all my self over several lunches and dinners! Got a little kick to it and I think I would cut the cayenne in 1/2 or more if serving to my children. Easy too! Kind of tastes like cream of cheese and broccoli soup, but its nice with the extra vegetables!"
"I would like to see the nutritional info for this before making. Does anyone have it? TOH?"
"This was great! Not to difficult and tasted wonderful!"
"This has become my new favorite soup! I saw it prepared at a cooking school I went to and it smelled so good I had to try it at home. Even my toddlers love it! I substitute frozen broccoli for the fresh with really good results."
"This recipe is wonderful in these cold winter months. It's quick and easy to make...and the leftovers are just as wonderful."
"In a word FANTASTIC!"
"This was a perfect meal for Sunday afternoon with hearty bread-yum!"
"I saw this recipe in the ToH Fall 2009 magazine; the picture of the made dish made it inviting hence it looked delicious, so I made it for the family. It was an instant hit and definitely into the future meal plan of our Tuesday and Thursday soup and salad supper."
"Easy and sooo good. Used a little less cayenne pepper and reduced butter; also steamed vegetables but outstanding. Lois S"