Cheesy Veal Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound veal or boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- HERB-CHEESE CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable bag; add veal in batches and shake to coat. In a skillet, cook veal in butter until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the first four crust ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; place in plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; fluted edges. Add filling. Top with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. With a 2-in. biscuit cutter, cut out circles; place over cheese, overlapping slightly. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 424 calories, 27 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.