Cheesy Turnips and Carrots Recipe
- 3 cups chopped peeled turnips
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine turnips, carrots, ginger, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and reserve liquid. Set vegetables aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender; stir in the flour, pepper and remaining salt. Add milk and the vegetable liquid; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; stir in vegetables and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 211 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 661 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Turnips and Carrots
"I've made this for years. It's really easy and tasty. My family loves it."
"mine turned out "soupy". did not like flavor - maybe because i'm not a turnip fan."
"My family loves this recipe. It has become an often-requested favorite and a staple of family gatherings."