Cheesy Tortilla Soup Recipe
My daughter came up with this dish when trying to duplicate a soup she sampled at a restaurant. I always pass on to her the rave reviews whenever this is served. —LaVonda Owen, Marlow, Oklahoma
- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
- 1. Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, process cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 3. Stir in cream and reserved chicken; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Monterey Jack cheese; top with guacamole and chips. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without guacamole and chips) equals 395 calories, 27 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 1,273 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC