Cheesy Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
- 1. Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, process cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 3. Stir in cream and reserved chicken; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Monterey Jack cheese; top with guacamole and chips. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 395 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1273mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Tortilla Soup
"Delicious soup! I made a few changes--my envelope of fajita seasoning mix didn't call for marinating so I just diced up two large chicken breasts and sprinkled with the seasoning mix when they were nearly done. I also added diced green pepper to the skillet along with the onions and used homemade turkey stock I had frozen from Thanksgiving instead of the chicken broth. After I stirred in the cheese and let it simmer, we didn't think it needed the cream as it was nice and thick and creamy with just the melted cheeses (I probably added more cheese than it called for--LOL!. I also used a can of plain diced tomatoes and then added a can of diced green chilies since I didn't have any Rotel on hand."
"Oh my goodness this is so good. We cut a cup of the broth out and don't add cheese to garnish because we learned we like it thicker and already love the amount of cheese in it. Hard to have self-control with this one- especially when served with tortilla chips."
"Good recipe, but a lot of fat for sure with all that cheese!"
""A keeper!" said all my family members when we enjoyed this soup tonight! My teens added Nacho Cheese Doritos instead of tortilla chips to the soup & thought those chips made it even better. I made my own taco seasoning mix from a recipe on the Allrecipes website, & the flavor was terrific--our local stores don't carry chicken fajita seasoning mix. Also added the whole can of tomatoes & chilies because I had to 1 1/2x the recipe in order to have enough for everyone. Will definitely made this one often!"
"This is a very good tortilla soup recipe. It is very rich though with all the cheeses in it. My husband said he wanted it again and again though. Thank you for the new recipe taste of home!"
"Made this soup for dinner over the weekend and my family loved it! The only thing I did differently was to add a large can of black beans as well as add the entire can of diced tomatoes (drained) to the soup. I served this with a fresh green salad, fresh guacamole and tortilla chips. Delicious! Thanks for sharing a great soup."
"My family loved this & it was quick to make."
"I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magizine back in 2008 when I was 10. I made it and it was amazing. The result however didn't turn out to be soup. None of the foods showed at the surfaced so I decided to make it a dip. My family and freinds love this amazing recipe. Some of my freinds that don't like something in the recipe can't even taste it. It is a perfect blend. As soup or dip this is the best recipe I have ever came across."
"My family loved this recipe. I used frozen chicken tenders and put them in my crockpot with the fajita seasoning, chicken broth, onion, and tomatoes and chilies. Cooked it on low for 6 hours then diced up the chicken and through that back in the pot. I then cooked the flour with a couple cups of the broth from the crock pot until thickened then stirred that back in. I cooked it for about 2 hours more then threw in the cheese and stirred until melted. I then added milk instead of the cream and it still tasted wonderful. This recipe is definitely a keeper!"
"My family loved this recipe. I used frozen chicken tenders and put them in my crockpot with the fajhita seasoning, chicken broth, onion, and tomatoes and chilies. Cooked it on low for 6 hours then diced up the chicken and through that back in the pot. I then cooked the flour with a couple cups of the broth from the crock pot until thickened then stirred that back in. I cooked it for about 2 hours more then threw in the cheese and stirred until melted. I then added milk instead of the cream and it still tasted wonderful. This recipe is definitely a keeper!"
"Great recipe easy to make with great flavor"
"My daughter-in-law made this and it was terrific. A perfect cold winters night soup. I'll be sure to make it and put it in my recipe box..."