Cheesy Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
- Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, process cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cream and reserved chicken; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Monterey Jack cheese; top with guacamole and chips. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheesy Tortilla Soup(10)
Sort By :
Fantastic! I had already boiled some chicken and I didn't have the fajita seasoning mix so I just added some homemade taco seasoning that I had . I will definitely make again. May try it with ground beef instead of chicken in the future.
This is a very good tortilla soup recipe. It is very rich though with all the cheeses in it. My husband said he wanted it again and again though. Thank you for the new recipe taste of home!
Fantastic! I cooked the chicken, broth, chilies and tomatoes, onion, and fajita mix in a crockpot for 4-5 hours. Then i drained the chicken broth into a saucepan and added the flour, cheese, and fat free half and half to thicken. I added back the crockpot ingredients and had great results!
Made this soup for dinner over the weekend and my family loved it! The only thing I did differently was to add a large can of black beans as well as add the entire can of diced tomatoes (drained) to the soup. I served this with a fresh green salad, fresh guacamole and tortilla chips. Delicious! Thanks for sharing a great soup.
My family loved this & it was quick to make.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheese Soup >
- Cheese Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >