- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
- Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, process cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cream and reserved chicken; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Monterey Jack cheese; top with guacamole and chips. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cheesy Tortilla Soup
Sort By :
"I've been looking for a cheesy chicken tortilla soup recipe for a long time and this is delicious! We loved it!"
""A keeper!" said all my family members when we enjoyed this soup tonight! My teens added Nacho Cheese Doritos instead of tortilla chips to the soup & thought those chips made it even better. I made my own taco seasoning mix from a recipe on the Allrecipes website, & the flavor was terrific--our local stores don't carry chicken fajita seasoning mix. Also added the whole can of tomatoes & chilies because I had to 1 1/2x the recipe in order to have enough for everyone. Will definitely made this one often!"
"Fantastic! I had already boiled some chicken and I didn't have the fajita seasoning mix so I just added some homemade taco seasoning that I had . I will definitely make again. May try it with ground beef instead of chicken in the future."
"This is a very good tortilla soup recipe. It is very rich though with all the cheeses in it. My husband said he wanted it again and again though. Thank you for the new recipe taste of home!"
"Fantastic! I cooked the chicken, broth, chilies and tomatoes, onion, and fajita mix in a crockpot for 4-5 hours. Then i drained the chicken broth into a saucepan and added the flour, cheese, and fat free half and half to thicken. I added back the crockpot ingredients and had great results!"