Cheesy Tortilla Bake Recipe
The from-scratch tortillas in this dish couldn't be simpler or easier to make. These enchiladas freeze well, too.Diane Hansen, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Add milk, egg and butter. Beat until smooth. Place a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. For each tortilla, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into skillet. Lift and tilt skillet to spread batter. Return to heat. Cook until light brown; turn and brown the other side. Remove to a warm platter; repeat with remaining batter. Set aside.
- For filling, cook ground beef, onion and garlic until the meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in soups, taco sauce, oregano and olives.
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with six tortillas, overlapping as needed. Cover with half of meat mixture. Top with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Tortilla Bake in Country Ground Beef 1993, p85
Reviews for Cheesy Tortilla Bake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >