Cheesy Summer Squash Caserole
Onion and cheddar cheese perk up the rich flavor of summer squash in this comforting casserole from Katherine Metz, Jacksonville, Florida (with husband Chuck, at right). A crispy cornflake-crumb topping adds a little crunch.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small saucepan, combine squash, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 2 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and
- remaining salt until blended. Stir in cheese and squash mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Toss the cornflakes and
- butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
- and bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.