Cheesy Summer Squash Caserole Recipe
Onion and cheddar cheese perk up the rich flavor of summer squash in this comforting casserole from Katherine Metz, Jacksonville, Florida (with husband Chuck, at right). A crispy cornflake-crumb topping adds a little crunch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine squash, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Stir in cheese and squash mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Toss the cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC