- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small saucepan, combine squash, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Stir in cheese and squash mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Toss the cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Summer Squash Caserole
"Made this recipe with summer squash and zucchini. Added some minced garlic and used panko because I did not have corn flakes. I placed the onion and squash in a large measuring cup along with 2 tablespoons of water. Covered and vented it and microwaved it for 5 minutes. Drained it and patted it dry. I wanted a lighter dish so I skipped the egg. Baked it according to directions. I came out deliciously hot and bubbly. Loved it. Want to try the technique with cauliflower and maybe carrots!!!!"
"Easy and cheap to make. Several friends asked for the recipe. Added a little parmesan."
"Yum! I cut up 9 small yellow squash (approx. 5-6" long) that amounted to approx. 8 c. Used 4 eggs and 1 c. mayo. I didn't have the recipe in front of me and forgot the onion and sugar, but it was just fine without it. Approx. 1 c. of cheese. Added a couple dashes of an herb blend. Didn't have cornflakes so crushed some croutons on top. It was very good!!"
"I have been regularly making this recipe since it was first published. Many times I have quadrupled the portions and brought it to family get togethers. Everyone loves it. Best squash casserole recipe I've found. The only thing I do different is crush New York Texas Toast garlic and butter croutons for the topping."
"This was only ok. Maybe I just don't like summer squash?"
"Really good easy recipe even ate it cold!"
"We Relly enjoyed the recipe. I did use 4 small squash which was perfect for 2. Just a reminder that not all corn flakes are gluten free. I did use certified gluten free corn flakes and probably closer to 1/4 cup. I will be making this one again."
"This recipe is so good and very easy to prepare."
"This was delicious! I'm new to squash recipes and this one won me over. I will be making this one again!"
"My family really enjoys this. I also use crackers instead of cornflakes as a topping"