Cheesy Stuffed Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 3 large baking potatoes (1 pound each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil, optional
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes. Rub with oil if desired. Bake at 400° for 50-75 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender. In a large bowl, mash potato pulp. Stir in onion mixture, cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Fold in cheese. Stuff into potato shells.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Potatoes may be stuffed ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen. Allow additional time for reheating.
Test Kitchen Tips
1 each: 416 calories, 26g fat (17g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Stuffed Baked Potatoes
"You can reduce salt and fat content and not affect taste. Freeze well....Reheat in microwave."
"693mg of sodium"
"these dont work with small potatoes hence them saying large ones. even though i used small potatoes and everything spilled over, the messiness didnt affect the great taste!"
"These were excellent! I did add a little more cheese because we all love cheese but everything else I used was as the recipe called for. I did get 3 people tell me that these were better than what you get in a restaurant & I agree. They are very easy to make too. Will be making these over & over again!"
"Delicious, just had them for dinner and hubby loved them. Left out the sour cream cause hubby does't care for it and put crumbled bacon on top. Definitely will make again."
"Just add bacon and this recipe is great. !!!!!!. Texture is great even after freezing and re-heating !"
"A big hit at our house. I used large baking potatoes and like other suggestions added ham. a meal in itself. Thanks for a great recipe."
"Love these potatoes. I also add parsley flakes for added flavor, and instead of white pepper, I use regular ground pepper. I've also used sliced cheese instead of shredded cheese, makes them nice and creamy as well."
"Love this recipe! ***Can anyone share if there is a difference in the texture after freezing and re-heating?"
"These potatoes are awesome. The only changes I make is to reduce the sour cream to 1/4 cup and add 6 ounces of softened cream cheese."
"Outstanding! These are perfect with a plus! Definitely making again. The leftovers were frozen and re-heated about two weeks later. It worked perfectly! Not a bit watery at all like most frozen potatoes get. Next time, we'll most likely add a little bacon to the filling."
"Love these... I don't use onion, overpowers the cheese, otherwise great!!"
"I originally got this recipe from a friend and I now make them anytime I have guests over. These are so delicious and often upstage the main dish and dessert!"
"Fabulous and delicious . I would serve these to guests."
"I've made these numerous times for family and friends. Always the star on the plate, no mater what the main course is!!"
"My family LOVED this recipe! I added diced ham into the mix and we had this as a meal, rather a side dish. PERFECT! we've eaten it several times since!"
"I have made these many times. One of my favorite ways to serve a special side to company. So convenient to make ahead of time.~ Theresa"
"I've been making these stuffed potatoes for years. They are a family favorite!"
"This is one of those dishes that everyone wants the recipe for. Try them, they are awesome."
"I have made these potatoes several times now. They are so good. We usually just use 2 servings and freeze the rest - they are great for a weeknight meal."