I'm a retired police officer and now a deputy sheriff who loves to cook. But with my busy schedule, I must rely on speedy side dishes like this one. The squash retains its fresh taste and cooks to a perfect tender crispness. You can give this cheesy treatment to other fresh veggies, too. It's so quick that I make some variation of it a few times a week. Everyone loves it!
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini and yellow squash into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a
- greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with cheeses. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-10 minutes or
- until squash is crisp-tender and cheese is bubbly. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 231 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.