Great for brunch, light late-night supper for two or as a versatile side dish, these melt-in-your-mouth souffles are flavorful, fluffy and fun. Thanks to Lynn McAllister in Mt. Ulla, North Carolina for the quick and easy recipe!
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into two ungreased 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Souffles in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p49
Reviews for Cheesy Souffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review