Cheesy Soft Pretzels
"Fresh and warm from the oven, these chewy twists are a yummy snack even kids can make," jots field editor Ruth Ann Stelfox of Raymond, Alberta.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, baking powder, sugar and
- salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk just until
- Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute; divide in half. Roll each
- portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; cut each into 8-in.-long
- strips. Fold strips in half, pinching the edges, and twist into
- pretzel shapes.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg and sprinkle with
- coarse salt. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden
- brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 71 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium,