Cheesy Shell Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 8 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 cups (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 11 slices (8 ounces) reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3. Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat sauce, sour cream and provolone cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese begins to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 346 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Shell Lasagna
"I've been making this recipe for 10 years now, it's a regular in the rotation. I omit the mushrooms and used dried onions. Also great with sweet or hot Italian sausage."
"It tasted delicious (I used a butternut squash sauce and a little extra meat - 2 lbs.), however, I think next time I'll mix up a little ricotta and egg with the noodles. It didn't stay together at all and was more like a goulash."
"Wonderful! I used regular sour cream and provolone cheese, not low-fat."
"This was so good, my husband asked to put it on our rotating list. It was easy and the flavors were great. Will be making again."
"Absolutely Delicious!!! However I did leave out the mushrooms cause I don't like them and added ricotta with half the sour cream!! Yummy indeed!"
"Love it!! My whole family loves it!! Excellent recipe and will be made quite often here."
"The sour cream and provolone make this lasagna very unique. Delicous"
"I prefer this low fat lasagna recipe to my previous recipe. It was so good my family wanted it two days in a row!!"
"I omitted the musshrooms and added spinach, but expected it to be a bit more flavorful. My husband and son loved it. I think I'll add about 1/4 cup of mozzarella to the sour cream next time and some fennel seed to the sauce."
"I have made this recipe several times...it's delicious."
"I have made this recipe several times. Easy, quick and delicious it has now become one of my families favorites."
"I have made this several times. I only use 1/2 lb of meat though and add in extra cooked pasta to compensate. Easy, delicious and makes great leftovers!"
"I really like the recipe. The only change I made was to add ricotta cheese instead of sour cream."
"Is it really only 8 oz uncooked shell pasta??? Didn't seem like very much at all??"
"This is a fantastic dish. Threw it in my crock pot for a pot luck; have served it several times for dinner. Equally as good for leftovers too!"
"I cant wait to try this,it looks amazing!!!!!!!11"