This zesty layered casserole is a real crowd-pleaser. It was one of our children's favorites when they were young...now our grandchildren love it! Plus, it's easier to make than traditional lasagna. —Mrs. Leo Merchant of Jackson, Mississippi
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 8 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 cups (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 11 slices (8 ounces) reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat sauce, sour cream and provolone cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese begins to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Shell Lasagna in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p27
Reviews for Cheesy Shell Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review