Cheesy Sausage-Stuffed Shells Recipe
I wanted to make manicotti one day but was out of the noodles. So I used jumbo shells instead and discovered they were much easier to work with.Lori Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
- 12 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2/3 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set half of the sausage aside for filling.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar and Italian seasoning to remaining sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, parsley and reserved sausage. Stuff into shells.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in dish; drizzle with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Shells in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2010, p265
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheesy Sausage-Stuffed Shells(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review