- 12 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2/3 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set half of the sausage aside for filling.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar and Italian seasoning to remaining sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, parsley and reserved sausage. Stuff into shells.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in dish; drizzle with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheesy Sausage-Stuffed Shells
Sort By :
"We loved how the flavor of the sausage was in both the cheese and the sauce. Of course, I did use a whole pound of bulk sweet Italian sausage, which I chopped up quite fine after cooking. I also used 15 oz tomato sauce and a whole 6 oz can of paste. Delicious!"
"I have made this several times love it"