Cheesy Sausage Stromboli Recipe
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 pounds Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water, milk and butter; beat on low until well combined.
- 2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and cool. Stir in the mozzarella, 2 eggs and basil; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spoon half of the sausage mixture lengthwise down one side of rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- 5. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut four diagonal slits on top of stromboli. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice; serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 370 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 702 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.