Cheesy Sausage Stromboli Recipe
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water, milk and butter; beat on low until well combined.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and cool. Stir in the mozzarella, 2 eggs and basil; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spoon half of the sausage mixture lengthwise down one side of rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut four diagonal slits on top of stromboli. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice; serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cheesy Sausage Stromboli
Sort By :
My family liked the crust but the filling was not as well received. Followed the recipe exactly.
Wonderful! I made half a recipe of this along with a more traditional Stromboli. This was the preferred one hands down. Wish I had made the full recipe.
I omitted the basil the 2nd time I made it and liked it better.
I use frozen bread dough to make this recipe easier. I also add diced onions and mushrooms to the sausage. This is the most-requested recipe in my house!
One of my husband's favorites. I usually add a can of sliced mushrooms to the sausage. If you don't want to make the dough frozen bread dough can be used.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Breakfast Meat Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Pork Appetizers >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >