Cheesy Sausage Loaf
My bread machine is such a time-saver, particularly where this savory entree is concerned. Stuffed with pork sausage and cheese, it's a favorite with my teenage granddaughters. They even take the left-overs for lunch.
16 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5
- minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if
- needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured
- surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cover with plastic
- wrap; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sausage, cheeses, garlic powder and pepper.
- Spread evenly over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up
- jelly-roll style; starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and
- tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Brush with egg; bake 15-20 minutes