- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sausage, cheeses, garlic powder and pepper. Spread evenly over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style; starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Brush with egg; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Cheesy Sausage Loaf
"We liked how the sausage and cheese is rolled into the dough. Note that you need almost 3 hours from start to finish for this recipe. Served with individual ramekins of spaghetti sauce for dipping, it is perfect to eat while watching football. Next time I'll probably try some variations of meat and cheese and maybe add sauteed onions and peppers. Excellent!"