Cheesy Rigatoni Bake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add eggs. Spoon into two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes. Layer each with one can of tomato sauce, half the mozzarella cheese and half the white sauce. Sprinkle each with half the Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake casseroles, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
1-1/3 cups equals 274 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.