Cheesy Rigatoni Bake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add eggs. Spoon into two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes. Layer each with one can of tomato sauce, half the mozzarella cheese and half the white sauce. Sprinkle each with half the Parmesan cheese.
Bake casseroles, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Freeze option:Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 7-10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
1-1/3 cups equals 274 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.