"This is a family favorite," writes Nancy Urbine from Lancaster, Ohio. "One of our four children always asks for it as a birthday dinner."
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add eggs. Spoon into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Layer each with one can of tomato sauce, half the mozzarella cheese and half the white sauce. Sprinkle each with half the Parmesan cheese.
Bake casseroles, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Freeze option:Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 7-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Originally published as Cheesy Rigatoni Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p14
Reviews for Cheesy Rigatoni Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review