Cheesy Potatoes 'n' Peppers Recipe
Roasted red sweet peppers add a dash of color to this hearty potato casserole. It has become a dinner tradition of ours at Christmas-time. -Sherri Jackson Chillicothe, Ohio
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until smooth.
- 2. Place half of the potatoes in two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Pour half of sauce over potatoes. Top with half to two-thirds of peppers and remaining potatoes. Pour remaining sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining peppers.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and sauce is thickened. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 146 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Potatoes 'n' Peppers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC