Cheesy Potato Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely shredded peeled potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add cream, 3 tablespoons butter, salt, cayenne pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. (Dough will feel slightly sticky.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Pat into a 1/2-in.-thick rectangle. Sprinkle cheese evenly over dough. Fold dough over the cheese and knead into dough. Shape into two round loaves; place in greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Cut an X on top of each loaf; brush with remaining butter. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 128 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Cheesy Potato Bread
"My family loves this bread! I usually double the amount of cheese and make it into 4 loafs instead of 2, so they can be used as bread bowls with homemade soup. If they aren't used for soup bowls, everyone gets their own loaf, so no arguments over who ate more!"
"Very nice and moist. I used 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes and not quite as much cheese--still great!"