Two crusty golden-brown loaves with terrific flavor and texture are what you'll get when you try this recipe. Potatoes and cheese make an unusual but delicious combination for a yeast bread. My family loves it served with soup or stew on cold days. -Deb Amrine, Grand Haven, Michigan
Featured In: 25 of Our Cheesiest Recipes Ever
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely shredded peeled potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add cream, 3 tablespoons butter, salt, cayenne pepper and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. (Dough will feel slightly sticky.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Pat into a 1/2-in.-thick rectangle. Sprinkle cheese evenly over dough. Fold dough over the cheese and knead into dough. Shape into two round loaves; place in greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Cut an X on top of each loaf; brush with remaining butter. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cheesy Potato Bread in Taste of Home February/March 1995, p39
Reviews for Cheesy Potato Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2012
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2011
"Very nice and moist. I used 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes and not quite as much cheese--still great!"