- 4 large unpeeled baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Thinly slice the potatoes and place in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, melt butter; stir in the onion, salt, thyme and pepper until onion is coated with butter.
- Spoon over potatoes. Cover and bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Potato Bake
"I prepared this dish when it first appeared in Taste of Home and I also prepared it again 8/5/14 for a dinner at our chapel. I used 1/2 cup butter, melted, 1 small onion, plus 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly SLICED, rather than grated, 1 tsp. thyme, 1 tsp. salt, 2 cups pre-packaged shredded cheese , 1-1/2 tsp. parsley flakes, but kept the amount of potatoes the same-4 large baking potatoes.I'd used a shallow 2-qt. baking pan, sprayed with PAM non-stick cooking spray! This dish is a simple, yet easy one to put together and yes, the slicing of the potatoes as they are, makes it much less time consuming! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Michelle Beran! Your Mom's recipe is a real keeper for me! delowenstein"
"This recipe was so simple and so tasty. We loved it! The only thing I did differently was use fresh thyme. You can't go wrong with cheesy potatoes! I will be making this again and again!"
"Yummy! Everyone loved it. It is easy and simple."
"This is not a recipe that reheats well, and that's really what makes or breaks a recipe for me. But, if you eat it right after it's been cooked, it's quite good."
"This has been a family favorite for years!"
"I use this recipe so often. It easy and tastes great! I love not having to peel the potatoes and we get tired of having the hashbrown potato casseroles. This one should be on the top of the list."
"Excellent! These turned out great - after making them for a fam gathering my SIL asked for the recipe and then when she made them for some friends they wanted the recipe....everyone seems to love this easy recipe. And since you don't have to peel the potatoes it is super easy!"
"yum! everyone loved this recipe i made it with melt in your mouth meatloaf a terrific meal thanks"
"I love garlic - so I added some garlic powder on the top before baking. And used Colby Cheese. Great Recipe!"
"Greatest potato recipe ever. My husband can't stop eating them!"